Monday, August 17, 2015

Journaling about Purpose

I attend a "Purpose Driven Church" and one of the ministries I'm involved in helps people find their SHAPE for ministry. Recently I've been meditating--and journaling--about purpose.

"We all have different gifts, each of which came by God's grace!"  
Open your gifts and use them for God's glory!
Romans 12:6
"Many are the plans in a man's heart, but God's purpose prevails"
Proverbs 19:21
"Being confident of this....He who began a good work in me will be faithful to complete it in me".
I love the idea of a puzzle that is a work in progress.  We know the picture will be complete, but right now it's a work in progress--just like us!
Philippians 1:6
"I have brought you glory to the earth by completing the work You gave me to do"
I hope I can say that one day.
John 17:4
"I consider my life worth nothing if only I may finish the race and complete the task Jesus gave me"
As a runner, I love the references to running a race.
Acts 20:14
"We are God's masterpiece (or workmanship) created for good works in Christ".
I imagined my picture, hanging in an art gallery. God designed me perfectly, and he created me to do good works in Christ!
Ephesians 2:10
"Since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witneses, let us throw off everything that hinders and run the race marked out for us".
Another great running reference.  During my last 10K, I fell early on, but I kept going. Toward the end of the race, I was feeling weighed down, and I began to, literally, throw off everything that hindered me. (It was the Alien Chase, and I had extra arms and legs attached to my shirt.)
Hebrews 12:1

"And we know that ALL things [not just some things] work together for good to those you love God, to those who are called according to His purpose."
Many years ago, I heard a speaker talk about this verse. She said "God works all things for good.  That doesn't mean all things are good". And she began to talk about cake.  You add sugar, flour, eggs, salt, and other ingredients to make a cake.  A spoonful of sugar, a pinch of salt or even a cup of sugar will not taste good alone.  But together, they work together to make a cake.  Later, I took that and preached my first sermon for a women's group.  
Romans 8:28

No comments:

Post a Comment